1995 - Present
Master Sculptor - Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture & Heritage
• The Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage grew out of the Abu Dhabi Cultural Foundation in late 2005 to promote cultural and historical aspects of Abu Dhabi. ADACH is a well known Abu Dhabi historical building. Actually, the old Cultural Foundation was located in territory of the old Sh. Zaiyed’s palace.
• I have been working as a Master Sculptor with Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage, UAE. Responsible for creation of art works in two and three dimensions, running of the Sculpture Studio at the Workshop, together with the preparation of course works for sculpture students, to educate, and inspire young minds, by developing learning atmosphere.
• I have been involved with personal and group tutoring in fine Arts with particular emphasis on three-dimensional art forms,, utilizing any combination of mediums, methods, and techniques: carves objects from stone, plaster, wood, metal or other materials, using abrasives, chisels, gouges, mallets, and other hand tools. Model plastic substance, such as clay or wax, using fingers and small hand tools to form objects which may be cast in bronze or concrete, or fired to harden objects.
• Design, implement, and supervising of sculptural projects such as facades, fountains, relief, mosaics, and memorials.
• Design and implement of unique gifts for VIP guests and awards for festivals and exhibitions organized by Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage. Read lectures to VIP guests concerning the process of creating of a piece of art.
• Create and teach a specialized program for sculpture, painting, and ceramic on the level of fine arts.
• Organize permanent exhibition in the workshop including the arts work of the students. Search for young talents from UAE and support them by giving advices and directions for developing their talents and organizing exhibitions.
• Updating the management of Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage for the results of previously process.
1988 - 1995
Independent Artist - Self Employed Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
Independent Artist and Sculptor in Bulgaria, responsible for many works of Art now in public and private collections.
Svilen Petrov, though he left Bulgaria a long time ago, is well-know to art connoisseurs as one of the sculptor consistently working in classic materials and genres. His works are traditionally associated with virtuosity of performance and high professional erudition in the process of form construction. His compositions, figures and heads carry a special metaphorical expression (achieved by complex treatment of surfaces be these metal or stone), seemingly deliberately opposed to the traditional “roughness” of sculpting material. Such feeling is not incidental and comes from the way the material is treated, and, in this territory, Svilen Petrov’s creative thinking can be defined as pronouncedly elegant. This is hardly fortuitous, considering his sculpture education at the National Academy of Arts in Sofia in the 1980-ies.
Svilen Petrov works mainly with stone and bronze, and his creations seem connected with the classic forms and the early decades of European sculpture modernism, rather than with fashionable trends. This is an intentional choice, opposed to the modern sculpture, which seems to be falling apart and losing its integrity. Such decision deserves respect because there is no “right” or “wrong” in modern art. Upholding of certain plastic means of expression represents a cultural choice associated with the self-assertion of each artist in their specific context, and Svilen Petrov’s traditionalism is of the type evoking pure joy – and making the world a good place to live.
Prof. Svilen Stefanov
Art Critic & Deputy Rector of National Academy of Fine Arts, Sofia, Bulgaria